top of page

Tax Blog

Taxpayers Abroad Approaching June 17 Deadline

If you work or live outside the U.S., you have until June 17 to file your income tax return with the IRS. This deadline applies to U.S. citizens and resident aliens, including those with dual citizenship. These taxpayers are granted an automatic two-month extension to file their taxes. You qualify for the June 17 extension if you live outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business is also outside these regions, or if you are serving in the military outside the United States and Puerto Rico on the regular due date of your tax return. To take advantage of this extension, you must attach a statement to your tax return explaining which qualifying criteria you meet. However, it's important to note that this extension to file does not extend the time to pay any taxes owed. You should estimate and pay any taxes due by the June 17 deadline. If you cannot meet the June 17 deadline, you can request an automatic six-month extension by filing Form 4868. If you require an extension beyond six months to satisfy either the bona fide residence or the physical presence test to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, you must file IRS Form 2350. Businesses needing additional time should file Form 7004. The IRS encourages taxpayers to need more time to file an extension electronically. All income received or deductible expenses paid in foreign currency must be reported on your U.S. tax return in U.S. dollars, and any tax payments must be made in U.S. dollars. For more information, please get in touch with the professionals at The Center for Financial, Legal, & Tax Planning Inc., at (618) 997-3436.


Sign Up


Success! Message received.

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • YouTube Social  Icon
bottom of page